Friday, May 30, 2008

For The Birds!

Most of you know that I'm afraid of birds. I don't really know where it came from, but it's there. Here's my thought process: birds (and other flying critters) are much more unpredictable than a non-flying animal. They can change their course in mid flight a lot more quickly than a running animal. They also seem to like perching on shoulders, which is close to my nappy hair, which is like fly paper for little animals! I don't usually enjoy eating at restaurants outdoors, I don't usually enjoy public squares where flocks of birds hang out, I don't ever want to feed them...I want to stay as far away as possible!


Most of you also know that Mike took me to Long Beach for my birthday, which included a trip to the Aquarium. I know many of you have been through the Lorikeet habitat. Of course, I have always adamantly refused to go in there...why would I intentionally throw myself into a vat of birds who like humans because they give them food?


When we were walking near that area, I decided to go for it. I saw some OCD patients on Oprah recently who had to go through what they called "Immersion Therapy"...basically throwing an OCD clean freak into the most dirty, germy place imaginable. So...walking through Lorikeet Lane would be my immersion therapy. Mike promised to swat away any birds that latched on to my hair. And since I trust that he's telling the truth, we decided to go in.


The worker told a lady in front of us that they're often attracted to earrings. So...thank goodness I had a hoodie on! You better believe that my hoodie was over my head and all sealed up within a few seconds. I'm sure I looked ridiculous...but I made it through! Thanks to Mike for being willing to be seen with a freak in a hoodie!


It was scary...trust me...and I probably won't be taking the little cup of nectar to feed them any time soon, but I made a small dent in conquering the fear. Yeah!!!

1 comment:

themayerfamily said...

Good for you laura. I did see that preview. It looked pretty yuck. Did it work?